Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sher's Scallion-Chicken Noodles

O, the comforting power of food. What could be a more perfect tribute to our friend Sher than to collect and make something from her blog, What Did You Eat? as a show of love and support. Her kind words touched so many of us, and the way her blog was written, I always felt like I'd been welcomed into her home with open arms. You know how you can feel like you just know someone - even someone you've never met? Someone so charming and wholesome and organic of spirit, they allow you to feel as though you've been friends forever? Sher was like that. And I wish I'd told her how happy I was to have known her, even if only through the internet.

Sher belonged to many groups. I looked forward to her dishes for Presto Pasta Night, and I felt like I always had something to learn from her posts to Weekend Herb Blogging. What charmed me, too, were her Weekend Cat Blogging posts, and I eagerly sought them out - often the first blog I'd read on the weekend. A fellow Daring Baker, she brought a spirit to our group that will be greatly missed. I am sure I've left a group or two out, but I think you get my point - she was an active member of almost every aspect of the food community, and will be sorely missed.

Once Mary and Kalyn put out the call to choose a recipe of Sher's, I immediately chose these scallion-chicken noodles. In fact, I'd had the dish bookmarked since she first shared it with us! Such a simple preparation and yet so delicious. The fragrance alone would knock your socks off. I totally agree with her one and only grievance with the meal - that she had to share it!! I too would have loved to keep it all to myself! This is a curl up on the couch under a blanket pasta dish, especially on a dreary day, as the ginger and cilantro are bright and warming.

So too, was Sher. Bright and warming and remembered today across the globe. Her kindness, generosity and friendship will live on.



Scallion-Chicken Noodles
c/o Sher of What Did You Eat?
http://whatdidyoueat.typepad.com/what_did_you_eat/2008/05/ppn-scallion-ch.html

1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
3/4 pound fresh Chinese noodles (or dry linguine)
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 cup finely chopped scallions
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
Pinch of sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves

Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chicken thighs and bring back to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Drain the chicken and cut it into 1-inch pieces.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the linguine until tender, 12 minutes. Drain, shaking out the excess water.

Wipe out the pot. Add the peanut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the scallions and ginger and cook over moderately low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the linguine and chicken along with the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until the noodles are coated and heated through, about 1 minute. Toss in the cilantro, transfer to bowls and serve.

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I remember this dish from Sher's blog, and I love that so many people are paying tribute to her today. I hope she would be pleased.

grace said...

there's no doubt that this would make sher proud. lovely tribute! :)

Deborah said...

What a beautiful post - and such a wonderful dish to go along with it!