Friday, June 22, 2007

Quinoa and Crescenza

My husband wants to know where the ghosts are, and why they're making us eat so much fiber. He also thinks I should rename my blog to All Fiber, All the Time.. or something similar.

So, yes, this is yet another fiber-y dinner... and my third from Heidi's Super Natural Cooking (see, ghosts... ) THIS WEEK... but what about it? :) This chapter specifically says to explore grains and I have! Before this week, I'd never made pearled barley or quinoa! I really enjoyed their chewy disposition, and I'm quite positive I'll find other ways to incorporate their tastiness into our meals. Just maybe not all in one week.

I couldn't find the Crescenza cheese at Wegmans, so I substituted with the Tallegio. I could have picked my much-loved Brie, but I wanted to go with something new to us. Tallegio, if you've never had it, is really smelly. I mean, really really smelly. Neither one of us cared for it on its own, but it really works in this dish... really really. I also used a mix of brown and white button mushrooms. I went with the already-sliced ones, just for the convenience.

While I really liked this meal, and thought it could stand on its own, Dave would prefer to revisit it as a side dish. More for me, then!

All Fiber, All the Time, signing out. If you'll excuse me, I have to go figure out how to kick my Dearie off the tv, so I can watch the last Stargate SG-1 episode ever. :(


Quinoa and Crescenza
From Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Natural-Cooking-Incorporate-Ingredients/dp/1587612755/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6815521-7348005?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182220708&sr=8-1

6 tablespoons clarified butter or extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ onion, chopped
2 cups quinoa, rinsed
1 cup good-quality dry white wine
1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, plus more as needed
2 cups water
2 big pinches or red pepper flakes
1 pound mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
Freshly ground black pepper
3 to 4 ounces Crescenza cheese (or substitute Gruyere, Tallegio, or Brie)

Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften and get translucent. Add the quinoa, wine, and 1 teaspoon salt, bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 3 to 4 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a bit.

Add the water, return to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the quinoa opens up, revealing a little spiral, and is soft and pleasant to chew.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, along with the red pepper flakes and a few pinches of salt. Stir in the mushrooms and cook without stirring for a few minutes, until they’ve begun to brown and release their juices. Then shake the skillet every few minutes until the mushrooms are evenly browned, about 4 more minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Once the quinoa is perfectly tender yet textured, drain off any excess liquid and stir in the cheese. Ladle into big bowls and top with the mushrooms.

Serves 4 to 6.


2 comments:

Lis said...

This sounds really good =) I keep saying in people's comments that I love their quinoa recipe and that I have some of it and am just waiting for some recipes to use it.. I still have not done that, and I don't know why. I do have all the ingredients for this one on hand today.... could this finally be my quinoa night? hehee

xoxo

Katie B. said...

Lis - Do it! Make the quinoa! :) It reheated really well and made a great lunch the next day.