Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Yay CSA Week One!!!


I couldn't be more excited about my first CSA vegetables. What you see above was all included in our "mini" share, and its so totally enough for Dave and I for a week. Woo!! It consisted of: (enormous) swiss chard, Italian parsley, (stinky) chives, a zucchini, garlic scapes, and a head of red leaf lettuce!! And this is only the beginning!!

The only item I hoped to get but didn't was asparagus, but no biggie - because actual real-live garlic scapes WERE included! How lucky am I??? I already had a recipe on deck for the swiss chard, and I'd read some articles recently on the garlic scapes, so I think I'm going to make a pesto out of it. If I love it as much as I think, I'll pop over to the farmer's market this weekend to look for more. I mean, hey, if I can pesto it up and freeze it for later, I'm all for it.


The wait was absolutely worth it, and I'm even more excited for the (tasty) summer ahead!!

3 comments:

B said...

gorgeous looking produce! I'm excited for you too and can't wait to get my own :)

Anonymous said...

How do you freeze your homemade pesto? I tried doing it last year and when I went to defrost it, it had turned an odd color. Thank you!

Katie B. said...

Carrie: I've never actually frozen any pesto before - my plan is to freeze a couple tablespoons per bag and see what happens. Anyone have any recommendations??