Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fried Prosciutto for Everyone!!!

If I were campaigning for anything, "Fried Prosciutto for Everyone!!" would be my battle cry. I'd have it on posters and fliers and cute little buttons. Because you know what? You simply cannot go wrong with these tasty little meat chips.

A little back story. Until two nights ago, I didn't like prosciutto. Hated the stuff. Didn't like the smell, its squiggliness, the way it stuck together no matter how hard you tried to pry it apart... none of it. Enter Sunday night's recipe. I don't know how I ended up on the Today Show's website way back in September, but I'm glad I did. This dinner was a bit of a mess to put together (three different pans and a blender, people!), but well worth it!

Now, my one suggestion to you would be: more peas/less broth. The "puree" the recipe speaks of is quite thin and runny... and I only used half of it. I think it would have benefited from either more peas or less broth. You choose for yourself which you like better. The prosciutto fried up in a snap and I'm frankly surprised that any of it made it to our dinner bowls. I tried one, and then another, and then one more after that... If someone were to make and sell a bag of fried prosciutto chips, I would buy stock.


Tagliatelle with Peas and Prosciutto
Chef Kathleen Daelemans shares food facts and easy-to make meals
Chef Scott Conant
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20265460/page/2/

Serves four

Extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced lengthwise
Kosher salt
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
3/4 pound fresh or dried tagliatelle

Make a pea puree: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot, season with a generous pinch of salt, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add half of the peas and the chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the peas until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley and the tarragon. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor (or use a hand blender right in the pot) and puree it.

Crisp the prosciutto: Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until the prosciutto is quite crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.

Cook the pasta in well-salted boiling water. If using fresh pasta, add it and the other half of the peas to the pot at the same time and cook until the pasta is al dente. If using dried, start the pasta first and add the peas for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve a cup or so of the pasta water and then drain the pasta and peas. Return the pasta to the pot it cooked in, add the pea puree and toss to coat, adding a little of the reserved pasta water if it looks dry. Divide the pasta among warm bowls and top the pasta with the prosciutto. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over each bowl and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I actually found a store here that finally sells prosciutto!! I'm excited to try this out.