Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Steamed Halibut with Bell Pepper and Summer Squash

I'll admit it, I'd never steamed fish before. Much less steamed it AND the veggies all in the same pot!

If you've had a long day, and you neither want much prep OR many dishes to clean, this healthy, easy meal is for you. Chop a couple of veggies, mix the sauce, get your steam on and bam! dinner. (No Emeril's Essence required!)

Of all the fish/squash dinners we've had lately, this might be my favorite. The lemon-Dijon sauce was to die for and I generally find easily prepared dinners to be tastier. You know its true... my interest in actually eating the meal is inversely proportionate to how difficult it was to prepare... (or however that goes)... I find I'm either too tired, hot, or annoyed at it to eat it. This is probably why I break meals into as many prepare-ahead stages as I can.. so that I'm charged and ready to dig in!

My point with that was - this was easy and extra delicious because of it! Whew!

Steamed Halibut with Bell Pepper and Summer Squash
From: The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes or Less

4 (6 ounce) halibut fillets, about ¾ inch thick)
1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/8 inch, half-moon slices
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fill bottom part of a steamer with 1 inch of water; bring to a boil.

Season fish with salt and pepper and arrange in the steamer basket. Reduce to a rapid simmer, and cover with a lid. After fish has steamed for 3 minutes, arrange bell pepper and squash on top and around fish. Steam until fish is opaque and vegetables are tender, for a total of 6 to 8 minutes.

While fish and vegetables are cooking, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and mustard; add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Serve fish and vegetables hot, spooning sauce over the top.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 270 cals, 11 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 36 g protein, 4 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 190 mg sodium

No comments: