Friday, November 16, 2007

Taste & Create 3: Spanish Churros

Are those churro fries? What? Let me explain!

Taste & Create, started by Nicole at For the Love of Food, is a great way for bloggers to interact. Sure, we read each other's work, and we often try out someone else's creations... but this event is specifically designed for that purpose. Participating bloggers are paired together and they make a dish from the other's blog. Sounds fun, right?

I was paired with the delightful Kelly at Sass & Veracity! Woowoo!! I have enjoyed her blog for as long as I've been reading food blogs, and it was a joy to rifle through her archives!

Scrolling through all her tasty entries... I kept coming back to one - her churros. Dave and I are completely smitten with churros. I'll admit, the ones we are in love with happen to come from Costco... for a dollar... but still. Sweet and crunch and tender.... and only a dollar??!?! I'll take it! Add to it that the ingredient list and directions are short and sweet, and you're looking at the perfect dessert (or snack!)

Now, this is where the trouble begins. Kelly's recipe calls for a pastry bag and a star piping tip. I thought, "I have that cake decorating kit... that should be ok..." Ha! I happily stirred my dough, let it cool a tiny bit, and then jammed it into my eeny-weeny icing bag. If you can imagine that, you can probably also imagine the eeny-weeny tip on it, too... maybe 3/16ths of an inch (and she called for a tip twice that size!!!) I have no idea what I was thinking. The dough is far to thick for such a small tip... the squeezing involved to get my thin little lengths of dough into the oil... yikes.

However, all was not lost. I managed my way through getting the tasty little churro-fries fried, drained, and rolled in cinnamon-sugar. All the work was worth it once we were able to nibble on them - and their sheer cuteness STILL has me smiling!

I will totally make these again - but not until I get a bigger tip! :)

My thanks goes out to Nicole for creating this fun exchange and to Kelly for her delicious blog!


Spanish Churros
c/o Kelly @ Sass & Veracity
http://sassandveracity.typepad.com/sass_veracity/2007/08/spanish-churros.html

1-1/2 tsp mild olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1 cup unbleached flour
Oil for frying
granulated sugar for dusting

To make the churros, bring 1 cup water, the oil, and the salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add the flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until a smooth ball forms. Lower the heat and cook, flattening and turning the dough for 2 minutes. Cool and transfer to a pastry bag equipped with a 3/8-inch star tip (the fluted edge is essential).

Pour the oil to a depth of at least 1 inch in a skillet (or better still, use a deep-fryer heated to 360 degrees) and heat until the oil quickly browns a cube of bread. Squeeze 5-inch lengths of dough through the pastry tube into the oil -- as many as will comfortably fit.

Reduce the heat to medium-hot and fry until the churros puff and have barely begun to turn golden, about 20 seconds. Do not overcook -- the churros should be crunchy outside and still soft within.

Drain on paper towels. Dredge them in sugar while they're warm.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

I love Kelly's blog as well. I missed Taste and Create this month- just way too much going on to commit to anything!!

I think your churros look great!! I like that they are so cute and little. I have always wanted to make homemade churros, but never had. I'll have to reference this recipe once I get around to them!

kellypea said...

You are so sweet! Thanks for your kind words. Don't you just love that cute churro recipe? I'm glad you chose that one. I had to giggle when you described the whole piping experience. You've given me an idea, though, to show people who don't have tips how easy it is to make one of parchment, or even a baggie. I should have thought of that before. And tonight for dinner, we're having your goat cheese ravioli. I've never made my own pasta! I still haven't figured out when I'm going to get it posted though -- before the crack of dawn? So much for sleep.

glamah16 said...

OMG!I just posted on Churros as well.They are yummy aren't they?

Peabody said...

I love churros. Whenever I go to an amusement park, most of my money goes to churros.

Mallow said...

I think the crunchy outside is the best part of a churro - so your churro fries sound ideal to me!