Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mahi-mahi with Blood Orange, Avocado, and Red Onion Salsa



Today was one of those days. I felt like I was herding cats. Every time I thought I had a handle on something, a new situation arose. Not that my job is brain surgery or rocket science, far from it actually... but today... whoa.

The best part of my day was this meal. I love how fresh fish combined with fresh, clean-flavored ingredients make me feel like I'm eating "spa food." You know what I'm talking about... a refreshing plate you'd have after your aromatherpy hot stone mud massage with rose petals.


Because, believe me, that is how I felt when eating this. The fish was so simply done with salt and pepper that the salsa really had the opportunity to shine. The sweet-tartness of the blood orange combined with the creamy avocado and the zingy red pepper in a way that tasted like fate... as though blood oranges, avocado, and red onion are grown only to be friends. No fussiness, very little effort, just happiness.

I took a reader's suggestion (in the comments of the Bon Appetit recipe online) and served this with plain couscous and a cucumber salad. I sliced the cucumber and tossed it with blood orange olive oil and pomegranite vinegar (I know, right? Could this have been more perfect?), but any vinegar/oil/citrus would do well.

I can't explain it, and I feel weird even typing it, but this dinner made my day. It was exactly what I needed.



Mahi-mahi with Blood Orange, Avocado, and Red Onion Salsa
Adapted from: Bon Appétit Magazine, February 2005
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231590

1 blood orange, Cara Cara orange, or regular orange
1/2 cup 1/3-inch cubes avocado
1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 teaspoons minced red jalapeño
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 6-ounce mahi-mahi fillets
1 large cucumber, sliced
2 cups prepared couscous

Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from orange. Working over small bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Add avocado, onion, jalapeño, and lime juice to oranges in bowl; stir gently to blend. Season salsa to taste with salt.

Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to skillet and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Place 1 fillet on each of 2 plates. Spoon salsa atop fish and serve with cucumber slices and couscous.

>> Orange you sweet: Although they look like regular navel oranges, Cara Cara oranges are tinged pink on the inside and taste a little sweeter. You'll find them at some supermarkets and farmers' markets.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Katie B. thanks for finding me so I could find you, which leads me to find wonderful recipes and inspiration!

Deborah said...

I've been having one of those weeks at work. I need to make this for dinner so I can have something make my day!!

Candyce P. said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment!

Ok, so I've seen blood oranges around and am pretty afraid of cutting them open, seeing the beautiful flesh and then not having a clue what to do with it!
This is such a simple recipe - definitely will try it out!
:)

Megan said...

I must try this recipe it is so healthy and full of color.

Megan

Anonymous said...

I love seafood! THis recipe looks delicious and healthy too. Thanks for sharing.

Liz said...

I made this recipe as the main dish for my Passover seder this weekend. I was wonderful! My attempt at the salsa looked nothing like yours though :) My blood oranges fell apart and the avocados got a bit mushy. It tasted great though! Thanks.