Friday, April 4, 2008

Southwestern Tofu Scramble


I won't lie, I chose this dish because it gave me an excuse to get more tortillas. I love tortillas and I will take any excuse to eat them. I think I confessed once that I used to eat leftover spaghetti in tortillas in college. I am currently under the spell of the whole wheat flour tortillas that Whole Foods carries in their bakery department. Glorious, they are. I've been eating them with hummus and peanut butter (not together) and just plain.

This recipe was a lovely way to fill those tortillas, let me tell you. The more we have it, the more I just adore tofu. It is a perfect flavor chameleon, super healthy and just so versatile! I had never "scrambled" tofu before and I was a little nervous. I know they're supposed to take on the texture of scrambled eggs, and in a way they did, but with the cumin and chili powder flavoring the tofu, it seemed more taco-filling-esque than scrambled-egg-y.

The zucchini was a nice touch, as it added a good texture difference and healthy chew. Of course I over-did it with the corn, but so what! I like corn! There isn't much chopping to this dinner, so it is perfect for a weeknight. (That, and we had a good amount left over, which made a terrific lunch the next day!) Pick out your favorite salsa, grate some cheese, and you're good to go.

I feel like I say this every time I make tofu, too, but this is another good Introductory Tofu Recipe... my husband happily gobbled this up!


Southwestern Tofu Scramble
c/o Eating Well Magazine, April 2008
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwest_tofu_scramble.html

Cooking crumbled firm tofu in a skillet approximates the fluffy texture of scrambled eggs in this vegetable-studded, vegetarian main dish. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with steamed corn tortillas, some extra salsa and black beans.

Makes 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each

3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, rinsed and crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 small zucchini, diced
3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
4 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, chili powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the tofu begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add zucchini, corn, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese until just melted. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon cilantro.

Per serving: 202 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 501 mg sodium; 422 mg potassium.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

I have a ton of tortillas that need to be used. And you almost have me convinced to try tofu!

giz said...

Don't get me wrong - the tofu scramble looks amazing but on the topic of ramekins - you clearly are a woman of very fine taste :)

Anonymous said...

i like tortillas too! fill it up, wrap it and eat it:) your recipe sounds interesting, too!

pam said...

Thanks for posting this, I saw this recipe in the magazine and had marked it to try. Looks good!

Brilynn said...

I got my package today!!! A million thank yous! Everything is wonderful, I'm so excited about Food & Wine. I will be putting up a post soon, but thanks again!