Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Radicchio and Licorice Risotto

This dinner earned mixed results in my house. I didn't really care for it, but the husband thought it was awesome. (Figures!)

I think I found the bitterness of the radicchio off-putting (though, I'll admit, it could have been the wine I used). I loved the risotto, and I even appreciated the licorice... but all together, in addition to the wine paired... didn't impress my taste buds.

Dave specifically picked this recipe out of the magazine a few weeks ago, and he's really gotten into wine and what pairs with what.. so we had really been looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll try it again - if not just for him, but to make sure I actually didn't like it. Silly, I know. :)

Edit: I should have mentioned this last night. I couldn't find powdered licorice root. What I did find was licorice root extract in the vitamin section. So rather than sprinkle on the powder, we used droplets of extract.

Radicchio and Licorice Risotto
Wine Enthusiast Magazine, June 2007

1 head radicchio
Olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground white pepper
¾ cup red wine
1 cup Carnaroli rice
¼ white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon white vinegar
5 ounces butter
¼ cup grated Parmigiano cheese
1 teaspoon powdered licorice root

Wash the radicchio leaves and cut into paper-thin strips. Fry in a pan with olive oil and season with salt and a pinch of ground white pepper. Pour in the red wine until it is absorbed by the radicchio and set aside to cool.

Lightly toast the rice in a large pot with half the butter. Wet with the white wine and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, slowly adding the vegetable broth and stirring constantly so that the rice stays fluid and does not stick to the pot.

Five minutes before the rice is ready (al dente), add the white vinegar. At the very end blend in remaining butter and Parmigiano cheese.

Serve the risotto in deep dishes and decorate with one tablespoon of the radicchio and red wine mixture on top. Lightly sprinkle over the licorice powder. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Ali-K said...

Katie, what a coincidence. I've just posted a recipe for which I'd bought raddichio and then accidentally left it out. I was wondering what to cook with it so I think I'll just have to try out your risotto!

Julie said...

This looks really interesting, I was curious though did the licorice flavoring make it seem more like a rice pudding versus a savory dish?

Katie B. said...

Ali - don't you love when a plan comes together?!?!

Julie - I had a hard time placing the licorice, but it def. didn't turn it into a puddingy dish. I think the article in WE even made the point that all the ingredients worked together to make the dish a cohesive whole.

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds strange but I am always willing to try something once!