Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Butter Beans with Parsley, Tomatoes and Chorizo

I wanted to like this more than I did. And I think its all my fault. I thought it was weird that only the chorizo got a turn in the pan... and I wanted to have warm beans and tomatoes... So... once the chorizo was browned a little, I tossed everything else into the pan. Do not do this at home. What ended up happening was all the chorizo oil got onto everything else.. so every bite tasted like it, regardless of what you put into your mouth. Now, if you like that sort of thing, feel free to replicate.

Now, what I would do differently is: Follow the instructions. Now that I've had some time to think about it, I think the differences in temperature would have been a nice contrast... or maybe I would heat the veggies in a separate pot... either way... don't let your chorizo oil ruin your dinner. Again, unless you're into that. ;)


Butter Beans with Parsley, Tomatoes and Chorizo
c/o Food and Wine Magazine, May 2007

1 14 oz can butter beans with their liquid
½ pound chorizo, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan, heat the butter beans in their liquid. In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over high heat until it is lightly browned and most of the fat is rendered, about two minutes.

In a medium serving bowl, whisk the oil and vinegar. Stir in the tomatoes, onion and parsley. Drain the beans and chorizo and add them to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

It looks beautiful, though!!!

Lunch Buckets said...

I'm so disappointed - I wanted to love it too! Have to agree with the comment above though, it looks great.

kellypea said...

This looks really tasty. I've been seeing quite a few recipes around with white beans, which I really enjoy. I recently had a "run in" with Mexican chorizo, too and switched to Spanish chrorizo which is less oily.