Thursday, October 11, 2007

Deborah's Sneaky BBQ Pizza Recipe

Remember those Cornish pasties?

Well, I only used half of the dough for them and froze the rest. I'd thought I might make more pasties with it, but when I read Deborah's post on bbq chicken pizza (and not just any - its from CPK!!), I saw my plan come together.

I have a particular love of barbecue chicken pizza. Sure, my new love of white pizza may have pushed it aside a little, but still, the love remains.

I rolled out the dough I already had, making two pizzas. I'd only thawed the one chicken breast, so I augmented the pizzas with a little leftover cooked pancetta. I also didn't use Bullseye... I had a jar of sauce I'd wanted to try from my Bacon Guy (the guy that sells bacon from happy pigs at my farmers market). The last difference is that I didn't marinate my chicken in the sauce for 2 hours. I didn't plan ahead very well, and we were too hungry to wait! :) Oh, and I think I'm going to try to find more reasons to put cilantro on my pizza! Yum!

Despite the fact that I edited all those things, this pizza was still dreamy. We shared most of one of the pizzas and then we had the leftovers for lunch the next day. (Reheated well!) If you're a fan of bbq chicken pizza, I highly recommend it!



California Pizza Kitchen Original BBQ Pizza
From Top Secret Restaurant Recipes
c/o Deborah at Taste and Tell, http://workingwomanfood.blogspot.com/2007/10/bbq-chicken-pizza.html

Crust:
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
3/4 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

Topping:
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half
1/2 cup Bullseye Original bbq sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Gouda cheese (smoked, if you can find it)
1/2 cup sliced red onion
2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

Start the dough one day before you plan to serve the pizza. In a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until the surface of the mixture turns foamy. Sift together the flour and the olive oil and yeast mixture. Use a fork to stir the liquid, gradually drawing in more flour as you stir, until all the ingredients are combined. When you can no longer stir with a fork, use hour hands to form the dough into a ball. Knead for 10 minutes. Form the dough back into a ball, coat it lightly with oil, and place it into a clean bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 2 hours. Punch down the dough and put it back into the covered bowl and into your refrigerator overnight. Take the dough from the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours before you plan to build the pizza so that the dough can warm up to room temperature.

Cut the chicken breast into bite sized cubes and marinate it in 1/4 cup of the bbq sauce in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

When the chicken is marinated, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Heat a small frying pan on your stove with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil. Sauté the chicken in the pan for about 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink.

Form the dough into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until very thin and 10 inches in diameter. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup of bbq sauce evenly over the crust.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella and all of the Gouda cheese over the sauce.

Add the chicken next, then the red onion. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella around the center of the pizza. Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown.

Top with cilantro.


1 comment:

Deborah said...

Truth be told - I didn't marinate my chicken for two hours either - only about 30 minutes! I'm glad you enjoyed it - we certainly did!