Sunday, October 28, 2007

Grilled Wild Boar Chops. You heard me - WILD BOAR!!!!

I picked up two big, thick wild boar chops from my butcher on a whim a few weeks ago. No plan for them, but I knew I could have a plan... some day... and I really liked the idea of being able to whip up a wild boar chop dinner on the fly. 'Cause like... who does that? :)

Well, we had the perfect occasion tonight. You see, today is our Second First Wedding Anniversary. If you recall, we had our First First Anniversary in Las Vegas in August... and today, a year ago, we had our second wedding in our church with our closest friends and family in attendance.

Now, we'd never had wild boar before. We like pork well enough, so I thought this wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I had no idea I would like these wild boar chops SO MUCH, though. The flavor of the meat is nice and delicate and not wild-animal-ish at all. The lemon/rosemary/garlic marinade didn't overwhelm it at all.

I served the chops with some buttered and rosemary red potatoes and green beans, both fresh from the morning's farmers market. We followed dinner with a lovely chocolate cake, but it gets its own post!!

I tried to work in a third wedding somewhere, but Dave wouldn't have it. I guess two is enough. ;)


Grilled Wild Boar Chops
c/o http://www.recipezaar.com/126240

4 servings
6 hours 5 hours prep

4 wild boar chops
3 meyer lemons, juiced
1 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Salt and pepper the chops. Place chops in roomy, non-metal container so each chop lays flat.

Whisk all ingredients (sans chops) for marinade. Pour marinade over chops. Cover and refrigerate at least (4) hours, turning every hour or so.

Prepare grill/fire for direct heat on high. Sear chops on both sides for 2 minutes. Turn heat down or place chops on cooler part of grill for remaining cooking. Close lid and cook about 5 minutes on each side for medium rare.

Let chops rest at room temp for 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I wish I could shop where you shop - I can't even find lamb around here, much less wild boar!!!

Sophie Sexton said...

Ahhh...thank you for this. I have a similar recipe for pork chops and was wondering if it would work on fresh boar chops as well. I think I'll like your version a bit better, as it has garlic!

If you're an avid griller, as I am, I highly recommend the Weber Grill website for some wonderful recipes! The grilled fish tacos are divine!

Anonymous said...

I'm going shopping for these tomorrow! They look fabulous! What are the 2 Tablespoons in the recipe of (before rosemary)??