Saturday, June 23, 2007

Miso-Glazed Sea Bass with Asparagus

Roasted asparagus might be one of my new favorite foods. If you knew me as a child, this would seem extra preposterous. Asparagus and I just didn't get along. To my defense, I don't know anyone that actually LIKED asparagus as a child... so... at least I came around. It took me even longer to get the preparation correct. I'd always have to get double the amount I needed, so that when I messed it up the first time, I'd have extra. Or I'd have a different Side Plan B. Now, my normal method with asparagus is steaming - but this could change. If any other piece of dinner needs the oven or broiler, the asparagus is going in with it. Tonight, the tips were even nice and crunchy.. Yum!

I'd been itching to try something with miso. Dave had a lovely couscous made with miso broth at Central, and ever since, I've wanted to figure this miso stuff out. Weeks ago, I found and bought some from Whole Foods, not knowing what I'd do with it, but since it had an October expiration date, I knew I had time.

This might be the perfect dinner for one of those days you really want a snazzy dinner but don't want to work for it. We got up early today and were out all day, and I wanted something delicious, but wanted someone else to make it. We considered options for eating out, but we had the sea bass and asparagus at home, and I didn't want them to get old, crusty, stinky, and thus inedible.

I had no idea it would be this easy. Whisk up the miso, lemon juice, water and seasonings. Spoon over fish. Add asparagus, tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Broil 10 minutes. Eat. Really easy, really yummy.

Winner!

Miso-Glazed Sea Bass with Asparagus
Gourmet Magazine, June 2007
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/238675

2 tablespoons white miso (fermented soybean paste; not sweet or labeled "saikyo")
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon water
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 (5- to 6-ounce) sea bass fillets with skin (1 inch thick)

Garnish: lemon wedges

Preheat broiler. Lightly oil a 17- by 12-inch shallow baking pan.

Whisk together miso, sugar, lemon juice, water, and pepper in a bowl.

Toss together asparagus, oil, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.

Arrange fish, skin sides down, in baking pan and spread miso mixture evenly on top. Arrange asparagus in 1 layer around fish and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat until fish is just cooked through and asparagus is crisp-tender, 8 to 12 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very yum! :)

Lis said...

Firstly, I was a very long roasted asparagus jag at the beginning of Spring - I couldn't get enough of it, so I can totally relate to your happiness with it roasted. :D

Secondly - what does Miso taste like? I keep hearing about it but still am not even sure what it is or what it tastes like.. help? =)

Your Sea Bass looks perfect!

xoxo

Katie B. said...

Thanks Sarina!

Lis - Considering miso is fermented soybean paste, I find it smells and tastes a lot like beer... one of those cloudy, light, fruity ones. So imagine a nice friendly beer made of beans.. and you have white miso. Hope that helps! :)

Dolores said...

I've done a riff on this as my contribution to Taste and Create 5. I'm a couple of days behind posting as I've been out of town, but look for my thoughts soon.