Monday, June 25, 2007

Summer Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts

I really do adore salads. I try to order them as much as possible when we go out to eat, and I wish we had them more at home. Earlier this year, I went through a salad phase, and we had it every night with dinner. (Salad phase followed Toast Phase) When my six-week class started, all phases, good or otherwise, fell out the window. I wrap up this week, so I expect that our dinners and my gym-visiting will improve.

In the meantime: I made this lovely salad this weekend for lunch. I'd made note of Kelly & Lis's Salad Stravaganza event, and pulled this recipe from a recent magazine. Problem is, I can't remember WHICH magazine (either Eating Well or Vegetarian Times) and neither site has it in their recipe sections... arrgh! So, know that this tasty and easy salad is not my own creation, but its still pretty yummy.

The nice peppery arugula is offset by the sweet peaches and balsamic, and both pair nicely with the creamy/crunchy goat cheese balls. I will happily make this salad again! If you're watching your fat intake (who isn't), you could sub out the goat cheese for something else.. or just make fewer cheese balls. I'm something of a goat cheese addict, myself, so I made a ton.

I gotta say, I'm pretty excited for the Salad Stravaganza's round-up. Considering that its now summer, and with that, pool/beach season, I could certainly use more salad - and there are only so many salads I can come up with on my own before I get burnt out. I'm getting this in right before the deadline, so make sure you visit Lis or Kelly's sites for the round-up!

Summer Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts

4 oz. goat cheese (about ¼ cup)
½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional toasted)
1 small shallot, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 oz. baby arugula (4 cups)
2 medium peaches, sliced into ½ inch wedges (about 3 cups)

Scoop out teaspoon-size balls of goat cheese with melon baler or small spoon. Roll cheese balls in walnuts until well coated. Set aside.

Combine shallot and vinegar in small bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in oil.

Combine arugula and peach slices in large bowl. Add vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates, and top each with 3 balls of goat cheese.

Per serving: 290 calories, 9g protein, 21g total fat (6g sat. fat), 19g carbs, 13mg chol, 116mg sodium, 3g fiber, 14g sugars

2 comments:

Lis said...

Looks amazing, Katie - Thank you! I heart cheese and peaches - especially goat's cheese & peaches, so this salad is like a dream for me! Yay!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the round-up.. the creativity is amazing! =)

xoxo

kellypea said...

Oh my goodness. Goat cheese in any form is something I love. Plus peaches? Have you barbequed them? Scrumptious!

The round up will be up Sunday. Thanks very much for your excellent entry. And I love that you can't remember which magazine you got it from, because I'm always doing that!