Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Spaghettini with Spicy Escarole and Pecorino Romano

This recipe was super-easy to assemble, and pulled it from the epicurious.com website so that I could use the head of escarole that came in this week's CSA.

That being said, I have a hard time being chatty about it because I didn't really like it. I wouldn't take my opinion on it, because my husband liked it enough to go back for thirds! (and the recipe got good reviews on the website) I found the escarole really bitter and the anchovies were maybe a little weird, and it could have used more red pepper flakes. So. With that laundry list, next time, I'll maybe blanch the escarole first, use less anchovy paste, and more pepper flakes.

I have hope for it, and I'm willing to try again... it just didn't ring my bell.

Spaghettini with Spicy Escarole and Pecorino Romano
Bon Appetit Magazine, February 2006
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233933

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 anchovy fillets, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds escarole (about 1 large head), cut into 1- to 2-inch strips
1 cup water

1 pound spaghettini
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add anchovies and dried crushed red pepper; stir 1 minute. Add garlic; stir 30 seconds. Stir in escarole. Add 1 cup water, cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Cook until escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.

Add pasta to escarole mixture and stir over low heat to combine, adding cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten if necessary. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Divide pasta among shallow bowls, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

No comments: